Sbarci + Fflic
Fun Facts Fun Facts Fun Facts Fun Facts Fun Facts Fun Facts

Fun Facts

You are here: Home > Fun Facts
bulb photo by CraftyGoat

When you turn on a traditional light bulb, only 10 percent of the electricity used is turned into light. The other 90 percent is wasted as heat.1

fridge photo by Nestor's Blurrylife

Every time you open the refrigerator door, up to 30 percent of the cold air can escape.1

window photo by David Masters

A crack as small as 1/16th of an inch around a window frame can let in as much cold air as leaving the window open three inches!1

dishes photo by David Locke

In the UK, we use £1.4 billion worth of electricity using washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers. This produces around 6 million tonnes of CO2 (Carbon dioxide) each year - the same as about 2 million cars.2

bulbs photo by Anton Fomkin

Energy saving light bulbs use up to 80 per cent less electricity than standard bulbs and last around ten times as long.2

If every UK household installed just one extra energy saving light bulb in their house, the CO2 (Carbon dioxide) saved would be the same as taking 70,000 cars off the roads.2

wall photo by TheArtGuy

Did you know that in an uninsulated house nearly 60% of the heat is lost through the walls and roof.2

kettle photo by Product Creation Ltd

If everyone boiled only the water they needed every time they used the kettle, we could save enough electricity in a year to run the UK's street lighting for nearly 2 months.2

thermostat photo by butkaj

Reducing your heating thermostat by 1°C when you are too warm can cut up to 10% off your heating costs.2

television photo by LGE

Did you know that over £900 million worth of energy is wasted by leaving appliances on standby, so do your bit and don't leave your TV or other appliances on standby, and switch off chargers at the wall if they are not being used.2

1 Source: Alliant Energy Kids

More facts from Alliant Energy Kids

2 Source: Energy Saving Trust

More statisticts and facts by the Energy Saving Trust

Tips from the Energy Saving Trust